The year 8 football team travelled to Malton for a 7 a side tournament, with the intention of building on the success of previous victories. The tournament was well attended, with Lady Lumley’s, Malton, Pindar, Filey, Ryedale and Eskdale all sending teams. The format was changed also, with each team playing one another, as opposed to mini-groups.

First up was a fierce local derby, against Pindar. After a promising start, Pindar began to find their rhythm, linking up well between midfield and up front, forcing some world class saves from Josh Beecroft in goal, and Billy Kelly in defence providing excellent cover. St Augustine’s were electric on the counter attack, and almost forced home a late winner, with our only shot on target being well saved by the keeper. 0-0, and the lads knew they were in for a battle.

Next up was Ryedale, a team historically who do very well in tournaments, using their strength and size to bully teams, making it hard for the opposition. We grew into the game steadily, battling off Ryedale attacks before again becoming devastating on the attack, with Charlie Silk pulling the strings in midfield, releasing the deadly Ryder Greening and Rio Stuttard combination. Eventually an attack broke through, Ryder releasing Elliot Thompson to slot home for the winning goal. 1-0, a result which breathed new life into the lads.

With this momentum, the lads turned it straight up to top gear from the off against Filey, scoring 6 without reply. Seun Giwa was in full control of the midfield, winning the ball back high up the pitch and creating attack after attack. Joe Logue’s control and awareness thwarted any hope of a Filey counter attack, and the game finished 6-0.

Match 4 posed another physical threat, with Lady Lumley’s another team with a fearsome reputation. St Augustine’s were however in no mood to be bullied, with Ryder’s fast feet bamboozling the defenders, sneaking through three before slotting home. Seun added a second goal with a rasping first time shot with his weaker foot. A late surge from Lumley’s provided a late consolation, but it was too little too late, 2-1.

Eskdale were next; however, they had already proved themselves strong favourites by comfortably winning each match so far. Some clever play from the Eskdale defenders nullified the dangerous Rio, who had been causing Eskdale problems from the start, before a breakaway goal from Eskdale won the match for them. 0-1, our first defeat.

The battle for second place was next, with a win or draw for Malton, or St Augustine’s victory confirming runners up. Some ferocious last-minute defending by an inspired Will Slade kept us at a clean sheet, however Malton held on as well for a 0-0, ensuring second place, with St Augustine’s a very respectable 3rd.