Year 7 came up against Pindar in their first ever English Schools Cup game, and with a few dropouts through injury, we began the game with a team who hadn’t started a game together so far!

An early goal from Pindar, much against the of play, shocked the lads into action, and immediately highlighted the dangerman. Aldo Camilleri and Hayden Power were ready, and weren’t ready to let him past again. So much of our good play was going through Theo Watson, who was controlling the tempo and pace of the game effortlessly, and it was a through ball from him to Marley Buckross which was coolly slotted home to even up the scores, 1-1. An unfortunate deflection off an Auggy’s player, when a simple ball over the top wasn’t dealt with, ended up leaving the ever-improving Logan McKillop flat footed, and he was helpless in preventing the ball rolling past him. Ralph Stubbings was finding space almost everywhere on the pitch, and his composure and excellent touch were meaning we were playing some brilliant football in great areas.

Yet another through ball from Theo to Marley led to the equaliser almost immediately, and the tough-tackling, pacey striker Micky Miah capitalised on a poor goal kick to smash the ball home for 3-2. St Augs were beginning to show their class, controlling more and more of the match. However, Pindar were not to be dealt with lightly, with their forwards being particular quick on the counter attack, which ultimately led to an unfortunate rebound off Aldo’s leg falling to their left winger to slot home at the far post. A corner was not well dealt with by any Auggy’s defenders, and the ball was stabbed home for 3-4. A fantastic game for the neutrals, not so much for their managers!

A moment of brilliance from Thomas Scales, picking the ball up 30 yards out, beating two players with some nifty footwork, before unleashing a lightning bolt that the keeper could only flail at. 4-4. Marcus Reede had come on at half time, and began terrorising the Pindar defence with some brilliant direct running, which eventually led to an assist for prolific Marley. 5-4 Callum Macauley was providing some much-needed bite in central midfield, and embraced his new role fantastically, looking accomplished and composed. An injury to Sasha Sobol, who had been calm and collected at the back, in addition to breaking up attack after attack, also meant that Callum filled in very well in CB, with his pace a real asset to the Year 7 team.

A clearance rebounded off Marcus’s back right into the feet of the oncoming attacker, and presented with an opportunity that was easier to score than miss, levelled the score once more for 5-5. A long-range clearance sent the pacey Pindar striker through on goal who slotted home with only 3 minutes left. Marcus Reede had other intentions however, and drove forward with menace into the box, before being chopped down by a lazy challenge from a tired Pindar defender, and Theo Watson made no mistake in smashing home. 6-6, and penalties were afoot.

A fantastic penalty from Theo started us off well, with Pindar missing their first penalty, however it wasn’t to be, with a few wayward shots and good saves from the Pindar keeper meaning we eventually lost 3-1.